Author Interviews

* you can find the original interviews and much more on my 'everything writing' blog (http://morgenbailey.wordpress.com), including author spotlights, guest posts, book reviews, flash fiction or poetry - new items posted 6am UK time Monday to Saturday and writing exercises at 6pm very weekday.

Monday, 20 May 2013

Author interview with novelist Jana Pauldo (revisited)


Back in April 2013, I interviewed author Jana Pauldo for my interview-only WordPress blog. I hope you enjoy it...
Welcome to my blog interviews with novelists, poets, short story authors, scriptwriters, biographers, agents, publishers and more. Today’s is with novelist Jana Pauldo. A list of interviewees (blogged and scheduled) can be found here. If you like what you read, please do go and investigate further.
Morgen: Hello, Jana. Please tell us something about yourself, and how you came to be a writer.
Jana PauldoJana:  My name is Jana and I am also the Princess of Literature. I would consider myself the Joyce Meyer of the Literature world because my journey has been a ride not completely similar to hers but when it comes to words you can say my mouth has put me in situations where I had to realize that I create my own reality and words have a lot of power. I started writing at a very young age; when I was in the third grade and now I am signed with Delphine Publications.  I’m just a writer whose main goal is to reign in royalty and complete my purpose that my Creator has placed in me.
Morgen: Your book, ‘Scared of Lonely’, has an intriguing title – how did you come up with it?
scaredoflonelyJana: Scared of Lonely came to me when I was listening to her, “I Am… Sasha Fierce” album. Scared of Lonely went with the concept of my story and the topic I was writing about.
Morgen: What are you working on at the moment / next?
Jana: At the current moment I am working on my first book that I am taking six months to write which will be submitted to an agent later this year. I am currently in the research and outlining stage and that takes me a month. I won’t begin writing on it until the beginning of May.
Morgen: Do you manage to write every day, or ever suffer from writer’s block?
Jana:  I write every day because if I am not writing or reading, then I am not getting better in my craft. For me, writer’s block doesn’t exist. I have periods where I complete a book and then take a one-month break and even then I am coming up with the next concept to a new story.
Morgen: It’s always good to let it marinate for a while. Do you plot your stories or do you just get an idea and run with it?
Jana: As a writer, I don’t believe stories should have plots, just an idea that is made better by the author and develops into what they want it to become. 
Morgen: That’s what I love about fiction; that it develops. You mentioned that the research and outlining stage takes you a month – do you have to do much research?
Jana: Yes, but I make sure it is as far in the background and the back story of what I am entrancing my readers within the book because my readers will care a lot more about my characters and my story. However, since I am appealing to a certain reader some research is inevitable. 
Morgen: You do want facts to be right because it will spoil the book, and there will be readers that will gladly tell you if you went wrong. What advice would you give aspiring writers?
Jana: “Write as thou will.” The interpretation of this is saying write whatever you want and however you want because as a writer you have the power to seduce people with your words and your art. So you only have one shot each time and always push it to the limit.
Morgen: Where can we find out about you and your writing?
Jana:  You can find out about my writing at www.janapauldo.weebly.com and on my Facebook where I post poetry every single day http://www.facebook.com/JanaPauldo
Morgen: Thank you, Jana.
I then invited Jana to include a synopsis of her book…
solpostcardWhen nineteen-year-old Sharise Watkins becomes involved in a relationship with her she finds herself being tormented by a mortal sin mentally, sexually, and emotionally. She is left with life-long damaging effects that destroy her inner soul causing her to reflect on her perception of reality, the loneliness she feels without love, and learning who to love. Scared of Lonely tells the story of a girl who is succumbed to temptation by incest, when her secrets are revealed, her quest for happiness is put at a screeching halt. Sharise becomes obsessed with being involved with her brother and by giving into the allure of temptation, she soon finds that she may be in too deep to be pulled up.
**
Jana Nicole Pauldo who is also nicknamed, The Princess of Literature has been writing since she was in the third grade where she first fell in love with her pen. An avid reader she is in school to become an English Professor and plans to transfer to NYU to continue her education and attain a Bachelor s degree in Journalism. At only 24 years old, Ms. Jana is also branching out to other avenues where she can make the world a better place. Currently Jana interviews other talented and inspirational people that she features on her blog. She plans to continue writing books and is also at work on her first television show. She has so much in store and is prepared for her career path and where it is heading. The sky is the limit and you can have whatever you dream.
***
If you are reading this and you write, in whatever genre, and are thinking “ooh, I’d like to do this” then you can… just email me and I’ll send you the information. They do now (January 2013) carry a fee (£10 / €12.50 / $15) for the new interviews on the mixed blog but everything else (see Opportunities on the main blog) is free.
Alternatively, if you’d like a free Q&A-only interview, I now have this blog, http://morgensauthorinterviews.wordpress.com, on which I’ve rerun the original interviews posted here then posted new interviews which I then reblog here. These interviews are Q&A only, so I don’t add in my comments but they do get exposure on both sites.
If you go for the interview, it’s very simple; I send you a questionnaire (I have them for novelists, short story authors, children’s authors, non-fiction authors, and poets). You complete the questions, and I let you know when it’s going to go live. Before it does so, I add in comments as if we’re chatting, and then they get posted. When that’s done, I email you with the link so you can share it with your corner of the literary world. And if you have a writing-related blog / podcast and would like to interview me… let me know.
** NEW!! You can now subscribe to the main blog on your Kindle / Kindle app!
You can sign up to receive these blog posts daily or weekly so you don’t miss anything. You can contact me and find me on the internetview my Books (including my debut novel, which is serialised on Novel Nights In!) and I also have a blog creation / maintenance service especially for, but not limited to, writers. If you like this blog, you can help me keep it running by donating and choose an optional free eBook.
For writers / readers willing to give feedback and / or writers wanting feedback, take a look at the main blog’s Feedback page.
As I post an interview a day (amongst other things) I can’t unfortunately review books but I have a list of those who do. I welcome items for critique for the online writing groups, and their associated Facebook groups, listed below:
Morgen’s Online Non-Fiction Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Novel Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Poetry Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Script Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Short Story Writing Group
We look forward to reading your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this interview and leaving a comment - we are all very grateful.