Author Interviews

* you can find the original interviews and much more on my 'everything writing' blog (http://morgenbailey.wordpress.com), including author spotlights, guest posts, book reviews, flash fiction or poetry - new items posted 6am UK time Monday to Saturday and writing exercises at 6pm very weekday.

Thursday, 1 November 2012

Author interview no.381: Shonna White (revisited)


Back in May 2012, I interviewed author Shonna White for my WordPress blog. I hope you enjoy it...
Welcome to the three hundred and eighty-first of my blog interviews with novelists, poets, short story authors, biographers, agents, publishers and more. Today’s is with urban fantasy author and artist Shonna White. A list of interviewees (blogged and scheduled) can be found here. If you like what you read, please do go and investigate further.
Morgen: Hello, Shonna. Please tell us something about yourself, where you’re based, and how you came to be a writer.
Shonna: I’ve been writing novel-sized manuscripts since I was twelve. At fourteen, I won my first recognition from a short-story competition put on by the Calgary Publisher’s Society. This was so motivating as I was competing against people much older than I, and with much more experience.
After submitting a short story as a school project, I was also randomly attacked by an English teacher in the halls of my Junior High school (middle school to some). She was a published author herself, with a few books under her belt. While at the time it embarrassed me, it really did make me see the power I held with my writing.
Now, in my thirties, I’ve actually decided that it’s time to put something out there. Lost Infernal is a proposed series that I’m currently marketing to agents.
As for me specifically, I’m a mother of two, Final Fantasy addict, deviantART artist (http://sraointe.deviantert.com), and am based out of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I’m always amused when people see my art and can’t believe I’m Canadian! Apparently, we Canadian’s have a bad rap.
Morgen: I’ve not heard that but have interviewed a few lovely Canadians – maybe they (and other Canadians – perhaps your teacher?) will read this and let us know. What genre do you generally write?
Shonna: I write Urban Fantasy. My main love is writing about the supernatural. I’ve done a lot of research into many supernatural beliefs and so I think I could write in just about any genre, so long as I could fit that in somewhere. My one exception would be Romance. Though I believe a story should have romantic elements, I’m so far from being the stereotypical girl, and I hate romance novels and chick flicks. The plot should never be about the romance.
Morgen: I’m not typically romantic and quickly learned I couldn’t write Mills & Boon (but like many incorrectly thought it was a way to start) but I do like chick flicks although prefer clever than slush. :) How much of the marketing do you do for your published works or indeed for yourself as a ‘brand’?
Shonna: I’m actually currently working to break in, and am marketing Lost Infernal to agents. That doesn’t stop me from already marketing it to the public though!
I’ve set up www.lostinfernal.com, an extensive website about the proposed series and the world it takes place in. Also, you can find proposed artwork, conceptual artwork, and a logo all on my deviantART site mentioned above. My art for Lost Infernal, including the book marks and posters I’ve handed out at expos, all have a strong brand tied to them which is distinct from the brands I’ve created for my name and for my art. That being said, I strive to make them have similar elements so the brands tie together.
Morgen: Looking at your cover I’d say it does have the right feel; the dark, brooding supernatural. Do you have a favourite of all your characters?
Shonna: The villain of Lost Infernal is my favourite character. I love my main character but the villain is just so much fun (and work) to write. Creating someone who is an evil genius and whose actions for the last several hundred years, are all coming to fruition at this time, is hard. Still, he’s just so much fun. With him, I take the approach of: If I’m writing a scene with him in it and I’m not making my self uncomfortable, then it’s just not evil enough.
Morgen: :) They say if the writer is bored then the reader will be and it’s bound to work the other way round, and we do all have a ‘dark side’. You said earlier about doing research for your books…
Shonna: I’ve done a LOT of research for the Lost Infernal series! The most important research to me has been in worldwide vampire mythology (so I could mess with it), military procedures / training / operations / you-name-it, and psychology.
In the end, I love the research aspect and believe it to be just as important as the plot. Why? Because you need to know what you’re writing about, and really understand it.  When taking a long lived mythology like vampires, you need to know why people love it and why such a brutal, and even ugly, mythos has evolved to what it has. Not doing that, I think, does a disservice to the people who love the genre. Play with it, but never lose focus of what you’re writing about and why there is a following.
Morgen: You’re absolutely right that you have to understand what you’re writing because even if you’re not writing what you know, someone will pick up on any inaccuracies you have. Where can we find out about you and your work?
Shonna: I have a few places:
Writing Related: www.lostinfernal.com
Facebook Page: Shonna White / Sraointe
Morgen: Brilliant. Thank you, Shonna.
***
If you are reading this and you write, in whatever genre, and are thinking “ooh, I’d like to do this” then you can… just email me and I’ll send you the questions. You complete them, I tweak them where appropriate (if necessary to reflect the blog ‘clean and light’ rating) and then they get posted. When that’s done, I email you with the link so you can share it with your corner of the literary world. And if you have a writing-related blog / podcast and would like to interview me… let me know.
You can sign up to receive these blog posts daily or weekly so you don’t miss anything… and follow me on Twitter where each new posting is automatically announced. You can also read / download my eBooks and free eShorts at SmashwordsSony Reader StoreBarnes & NobleiTunes BookstoreKobo and Amazon, with more to follow. I have a new forum and you can follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook, like me on Facebook, connect with me on LinkedIn, find me on Tumblr, complete my website’s Contact me page or plain and simple, email me.  I also now have a new blog creation service especially for, but not limited to, writers.
Unfortunately, as I post an interview a day (amongst other things) I can’t review books but I have a feature called ‘Short Story Saturdays’ where I review stories of up to 2,500 words. Alternatively if you have a short story or self-contained novel extract / short chapter (ideally up to 1000 words) that you’d like critiqued and don’t mind me reading it / talking about and critiquing it (I send you the transcription afterwards so you can use the comments or ignore them) :) on my ‘Bailey’s Writing Tips’ podcast, then do email me. They are weekly episodes, usually released Monday mornings UK time, interweaving the recordings between the red pen sessions with the hints & tips episodes. I am now also looking for flash fiction (<1000 words) for Flash Fiction Fridays and poetry for Post-weekend Poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this interview and leaving a comment - we are all very grateful.