Author Interviews

* you can find the original interviews and much more on my 'everything writing' blog (http://morgenbailey.wordpress.com), including author spotlights, guest posts, book reviews, flash fiction or poetry - new items posted 6am UK time Monday to Saturday and writing exercises at 6pm very weekday.

Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Author interview no.142: Jim Reilly (revisited)


Back in September 2011, I interviewed author Jim Reilly for my WordPress blog. I hope you enjoy it...
Welcome to the one hundred and forty-second of my blog interviews with novelists, short story authors, poets, directors, bloggers, scriptwriters, autobiographers and more. Today's is with sci-fi fantasy author Jim Reilly. A list of interviewees (blogged and scheduled) can be found here. If you like what you read, please do go and investigate the author further. 
Morgen: Hello, Jim. Please tell us something about yourself and how you came to be a writer.
Jim: I’m a married father of four, born and raised on Long Island, New York. I received a Bachelor and MBA in business.  As I finished my MBA program, I was encouraged by a few of my professors who thought I wrote well. Upon graduation, the company I worked for had a large lay-off and I was caught up in it.
Morgen: Oh dear. I’m sorry to hear that (I’ve been made redundant twice).
Jim: So while looking for work my wife suggested that I should write the book I had long fantasized about doing, and that is exactly what I did.  At first I did it to pass the time, but my story kept evolving and I became engrossed in developing the characters and story. All of this resulted in my soon to be published Sci-fi novel, Evolution.
Morgen: Yay! A bad thing made good. What genre do you generally write and have you considered other genres?
Jim: From an early age, I have always had a fascination with Science Fiction and Fantasy to a point that it became a passion of mine.  I grew up watching The Twilight Zone, Star Trek, Star Wars, ET, and Aliens.  Such creative stories helped expand my imagination and influence my views of the world in a different light.
Morgen: I’m not a sci-fi fan but I love love loved the 1983 Twilight Zone movie (to which all the series fans boo at me :)). What have you had published to-date? How much of the marketing do you do?
Jim: I am a first time author and my novel Evolution will be my first published writing.  So far my marketing has consisted of expanding my Facebook world and starting my Sci-fi Blog, http://jimreillyscifi.wordpress.com, as well as, blogging on sci-fi blogs and groups.  The whole experience has been fun and entertaining as well.
Morgen: I’ve interviewed a few sci-fi authors and they’re always popular. :) Do you have an agent? Do you think they’re vital to an author’s success?
Jim: I have yet to find an agent.  I do believe that they are vital to an author’s success but I did find a publisher to take my book on my own.  I am hoping that Evolution’s success will help me find an agent.
Morgen: I know of one for sci-fi / fantasy in the UK (http://johnjarrold.co.uk) who’s been a speaker at both Verulam Writers Circle Get Writing conferences I’ve been to (2010, 2011). It’s not my genre (as you’ve probably guessed by now :)) so I don’t know him other than he’s fussy (but then he’s an agent) but I get the impression he’s good. Are your books available as eBooks? If so what was your experience of that process? And do you read eBooks?
Jim: Evolution will be published as an eBook first before a hard copy and it will be my first time going through that process with my publisher.  I just started reading eBooks using my Kindle and I love it.  Since I got it, I have read more books than I had in the past.
Morgen: That’s the way that they seem to be going which is great… especially for us writers who are planning on going that route. What was your first acceptance and is being accepted still a thrill?
Jim: I am a first time author, so getting a publisher’s acceptance letter followed by a contract was an amazing feeling.  I sent out so many manuscripts and received many rejection letters just like many other authors.  Then you hold the contract in your hand and realize you are a little bit closer to your dream coming true.
Morgen: So you’ve had rejections. How do you deal with them?
Jim: Yes, I had many rejections.  But I am a salesman by trade and I know you need to go through many rejections in order to inch closer to a sale.
Morgen: I agree. If something’s too easy it doesn’t feel like you’ve fought for it. What are you working on at the moment / next?
Jim: I finished up my second sci-fi novel about a small Long Island town where one part of the town’s people is infested with aliens.  I write about the consequences of that and the relationships that develop with the aliens.
Morgen: Do you manage to write every day? What’s the most you’ve written in a day?
Jim: On average I write about a thousand words a day.  One rainy day that kept me indoors, I may have hit three thousand words.
Morgen: I’d not thought of our weather like that but England can be wet so I guess we’re actually really lucky. :) What is your opinion of writer’s block? Do you ever suffer from it? If so, how do you ‘cure’ it?
Jim: So far, I have not suffered too badly with writer’s block.  Before I write a story, I have a plan and my mind already starts thinking of what I am going to write long before I get to that particular chapter.
Morgen: A handy mind to have. So do you find you plot your stories or do you just get an idea and run with it?
Jim: My experience with both my books I wrote, I had a plan of where I wanted to go.  With that said, I do trust my imagination and I let it take the story.   Do I go back and tweak it later?  Of course, if my imagination discovers something fun.
Morgen: :) Do you have pieces of work that you think will never see light of day?
Jim: I can’t say that at this point.  I have one novel ready to be published, another finished and ready to be sent to a publisher, and I have started my third book.
Morgen: Sounds like you have it all in hand. What’s your favourite / least favourite aspect of your writing life?
Jim: The least favourite thing is waiting.  You wait for your editor to finish, you wait for a publisher to pick you up, and you wait for the publisher to eventually publish the book.  My favourite aspect is when people enjoy what I wrote.  There is nothing better.
Morgen: That’s what we all strive for (I reckon anyway). What advice would you give aspiring writers?
Jim: The old clich├ęs ‘Follow your dreams’ and ‘Don’t give up’.  It is so true.
Morgen: It is. I won’t. :) What do you like to read?
Jim: The older I get, the more I like to read.  When I was young I was dyslectic and it was hard for me to read.  Today I can control it to the point that now reading is very enjoyable.
Morgen: I had a boyfriend of 4 years called Tim who had it quite badly but he loved reading sci-fi and could tell you the characters, plot and location by just point at one of his books (of a sea of them) but with everything else zero confidence. It was a shame but a salt of the earth guy – still is as far as I know (last I heard he was a happy bus driver in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire). Are there any writing-related websites and / or books that you find useful and would recommend?
Jim: The book, The Essential Guide to Getting Your Book Published by Arielle Eckstut and David Henry Sterry, was a big help.  It gave me a view of the publishing world a novice like me knew nothing about.  It also made me realize the importance of online social networking and the impact it would have on the success of my book.  http://www.thebookdoctors.com.
Morgen: I don’t know that one so thanks for that. Are you on any forums or networking sites? If so, how invaluable do you find them?
Jim: I have been visiting as many sci-fi blogs as I can and commenting.  I also belong to many writing groups on http://linkedin.com and engage in discussions there.
Morgen: Ah yes, LinkedIn, a great site (and great people!). Where can we find out about you and your work?
Jim: At Jim Reilly’s Blog.  http://jimreillyscifi.wordpress.com.
Morgen: Thank you Jim. Good luck with ‘Evolution’. I’ve got one of the songs from the Twilight Zone movie (Creedence Clearwater Revival’s Midnight Special) stuck in my head now... thanks Dan Acroyd! :)
If you are reading this and you write, in whatever genre, and are thinking “ooh, I’d like to do this” then you can… just email me and I’ll send you the questions. You complete them, I tweak them where appropriate (if necessary to reflect the blog ‘clean and light’ rating) and then they get posted. When that’s done, I email you with the link so you can share it with your corner of the literary world. And if you have a writing-related blog / podcast and would like to interview me… let me know.
You can sign up to receive these blog posts daily or weekly so you don’t miss anything… and follow me on Twitter where each new posting is automatically announced. You can also read / download my eBooks and free eShorts at SmashwordsSony Reader StoreBarnes & NobleiTunes BookstoreKobo and Amazon, with more to follow. I have a new forum, friend me on Facebook, like me on Facebook, connect with me on LinkedIn, find me on Tumblr, complete my website’s Contact me page or plain and simple, email me.  I also now have a new blog creation service especially for, but not limited to, writers.
Unfortunately, as I post an interview a day (amongst other things) I can’t review books but I have a feature called ‘Short Story Saturdays’ where I review stories of up to 2,500 words. Alternatively if you have a short story or self-contained novel extract / short chapter (ideally up to 1000 words) that you’d like critiqued and don’t mind me reading it / talking about and critiquing it (I send you the transcription afterwards so you can use the comments or ignore them) :) on my ‘Bailey’s Writing Tips’ podcast, then do email me. They are weekly episodes, usually released Monday mornings UK time, interweaving the recordings between the red pen sessions with the hints & tips episodes. I am now also looking for flash fiction (<1000 words) for Flash Fiction Fridays and poetry for Post-weekend Poetry.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Morgen for posting this again.

    Since then my book, Evolution has finally been published (8-7-2012)

    http://www.wordtechs.com/jreilly.html

    Regards

    Jim Reilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent news. Congratulations, Jim. :) I'll add the details to your original interview.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this interview and leaving a comment - we are all very grateful.